Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Most of us recognize unsafe driving. Texting while driving is not safe. Eating while driving is not safe. Reading, applying makeup, shaving are not safe behind the wheel. Turning around and talking to the kids in the back seat is definitely not safe. Drinking while driving is not only unsafe, it’s against the law.
Committing to save driving habits can save your life and the lives of your friends and loved ones. And there are many other benefits to safe driving too.
Many insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who they consider “safe drivers.” These incentives for driving safe may be a vanishing deductible discount. Depending on your driving record, this discount may mean that for every year you do not file a car accident insurance claim, your deductible is discounted. Let’s say you have a $500 deductible. If you file no claims for five years and have no accidents, your deductible could be discounted to zero.
Taking a safe driving course can help you learn how to improve your driving skills, save your life and help you obtain a discount on your insurance premium. In some states if you take a defensive driving or safe driver course, you could get up to 10% off your insurance rates for three to five years. While safe driving courses do vary, they do teach students how to:
· Make informed decisions on the road
· Anticipate potential dangerous situations while driving
· Have insight into potential problems in their own driving techniques and make needed changes
· Handle road rage
· Deal with dangerous weather and road conditions
You may take safe driving courses online, in the classroom or also receive behind the wheel training.
Safe driving courses can help you shave points off your driving record after you have received a ticket for a driving violation. If you have received a moving violation ticket, taking a safe driver course may excuse you from having to appear in court. Often, taking the safe driving course may keep your insurance rates from rising after you have had a moving violation.
When you drive safely, additional benefits include:
· You save money on gas. Your car can achieve peak efficiency when you avoid rapid acceleration and lots of quick stops.
· Your tires last longer. Safe drivers do not tailgate, except in football parking lots. Because safe driving includes braking gently and not zooming from zero to 80 in 10 seconds, there is less tread wear on your tires.
· Your engine is happy. Because you are not doing a lot of quick starts, accelerations and rapid stops, your car’s engine can function more efficiently, and thus last longer.
· You live longer. While you cannot control what other drivers on the road are doing, you will have more awareness of the road and have the ability to be proactive when you sense danger coming. This can result in fewer accidents.
Our agents can give you more information about the types of options involving safe driving courses or safe driver discounts that may be available to you in your region. Find out more by contacting Dostal & Kirk Insurance & Financial Services at (877) 562-6801 or email@example.com. We return all phone calls and emails promptly.